My G8 students are beginning their annual Dance unit. This is usually met with not much enthusiasm. I have to admit that my dancing shoes are not as polished or practiced as many other PE teachers, but over the last few years I have had the opportunity to work a little with Sara Quigley, a fabulous Dance teacher, and she and I have worked hard to put together a Dance unit about dissecting dance and then putting a Dance together with all its segments and joining bits and it has been more successful than other attempts….
This year I decided that after such great feedback via screencasting, that I would again use Screencasts in my work with students but really focus on the feedback via commenting on student blogs. The process will work a as such:
- Students will be filmed using Coaches Eye (on my iPad3) at the end of each Dance lesson to record progress thus far.
- I will do a small screencast on 3 groups each lesson (leaving 2 more with no comments) and export them to my DropBox public folder.
- Students will then get these films and either embed on their student blogs with a short post or link with privacy settings to those who are offering feedback
- I will have groups of student comment on other groups as part of ongoing feedback using a Feedback rubric.
- Students from Yokohama Int’l School (YIS) and Western Academy Beijing (WAB) will be invovled in feedback to my students as part of their ongoing formative feedback loop. Ken Forde (WAB – @kenforde) and Alex Thomas (YIS – @alex76thomas) have very thankfully come on board for this 2.5 week experience.
- Students will post/offer feedback for 5 lessons.
- Students will be assessed on the quality of their feedback to others as part of their Criteira D grade (IBO MYP PE)
This is a long process but something that I think will be worth while. A big thanks to all students and staff who have assisted in this project, we will get back to you when it’s all done to see how the process went.
Update: Link to my class blog and instructions