For the last few years I have been working at UNIS Hanoi in Vietnam. I have really learnt a lot during my time both in my Physical Education Department but also through our IT office and in the MSHS from different leadership models and beyond. I have worked in several International schools and it is not a secret that schools are living organisms, and you need to really see how each department and individual affect the workings of a school before you pass judgement. A wise person once told me that on the International circuit everyone is connected and so your past and your lessons stay with you as you move along (a bit like cyberspace, keep your record clean!).
So with a new school and a new job – Yokohama International School in Japan where
I think I am teaching MSHS PE in a smaller department that is challenged by limited facilities I am going to try and set some goals for the first semester.
- Start small – focus on student names and their abilities first.
- Make no assumptions – be open minded to what is possible and the people and students I am going to meet and the spaces and equipment I have.
- Try to remain positive for every lesson – especially after lunch and on cold, rainy days.
- Integrate tech where it is useful, not just for fun. YIS is an Apple school and we are moving to using iPads in PE – I am fully excited about this and hope to really make the most of the work I have been doing at UNIS and in my own learning. This includes:
- Coach’s Eye/Analysis/Sharing/Dropbox
- Fun ways to promote exercise, especially for less motivated students
- Trying to go paperless using Attendance, Google and iDevice apps for capturing data.
- Working on MYP units that focus on Concept and TGfU work rather than other more traditional practices of PE.
- Collaborate with the PE team and learn from new brains around me.
- Share my progress with the PE Geeks and see how others are doing (as usual)
- Investigate with my PEPLC team and the PEPLC network on curriculum and leadership.
- Keep running to remain less stressed! (and spend quality time with my own family)
What are you going to get up to this Semester?
Image: The clones are breaking into the Super Mario blockby Kalexanderson licensed CC BY NC SA